Thursday, June 12, 2008

Summer Reading

I've been buying books like some people buy shoes. I've been the happy, lucky recipient of some gift books, too. I have more to read (about three months worth of New Yorkers, Martha Stewarts, and Real Simples), but this is the top ten on my book list.

A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary for Lovers by Xiaolu Guo. A gift from my dear friend Debbie that I can't wait to read.

Time Bites by Doris Lessing. A Christmas gift from my friend Wendy.

River of Darkness by Rennie Airth (a secret Santa offering)

Emma Brown by Clare Boylan, from an unfinished manuscript by Charolotte Bronte. Doesn't that sound intriguing?? Another secret Santa gift.

The Appeal by John Grisham. Might not keep this on the list. Been trying to read this when I go to bed but it's not keeping me up.

Duma Key by Stephen King. Did you read the excerpt in The New Yorker? I'm intrigued. I'm also an unashamed King fan.

All the Names by Jose Saramago. I loved Blindness.

Atonement by Ian McEwan

So Brave, Young, and Handsome by Leif Enger. I loved his first book, Peace Like a River. This got a good write up in a recent Washington Post Bookworld

Edith Wharton by Hermione Lee. I've had this since last summer, but haven't had a chance to get to it. It's an enormous tome. Definitely not one to take to the beach.

2 comments:

Living the life in The Little City said...

Atonement is a good book. I have it in paperback. Read it a few years ago and now feel like reading it again. Next time John comes to the cabin, I'm going to ask that he bring me the books that I have on the living room shelves. Fewer things to move later on.

Anonymous said...

I anxiously await an update to this blog but alas, nothing for weeks. I hope everything is OK. Maybe a computer meltdown? Or just a busy summer..
jsb