Friday, September 19, 2008

Morning Misstep

I was walking the spots up 13th St. this morning. I crossed between driveways from north to south and I stepped up onto the curb with my left foot. I stepped into the grass of the median with my right foot, heading for the sidewalk, and my right foot stepped into nothingness. I didn't see it at first, but I'd stepped onto the round, iron water-meter cover. Those things are supposed to be bolted down, right? This one must have been half off and I stepped onto the half that was over the open hole. I went down hard on my left hip and left hand, leashes and poop bag flying. I'm lucky I didn't break my ankle or my leg. I would have had to drag my broken self to the door of the house I was in front of. You know the one-- it's front door used to face the Blvd.? White painted brick? They've just added an overhang to the 13th St. "front" door. (It's also where Jackson-the-cat's accusers used to live.) I would have had to wake them to get help. I could have been set for life with the punitive damages I would have laid on the County for their negligence! Just as well. A cast is a big hassle. Been there done that. I should probably put a note on their door though. I also think this would have been a whole lot worse 150 pounds ago.

2 comments:

Living the life in The Little City said...

I'd be furious. What did you say in your note? Should you tell the utilities that the cover is not bolted?

Kathy said...

I'll write the note right now, or maybe I'll just walk over there. Still makes me shudder to think what might have happened.